Sydney, 29 April to 1 May 2010
We acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which we will come together, the Gadigal people of the Eora nation, and pay our respects to their elders.
The Alliance has begun organizing the 7th National LGBTI* Health Conference. Health in Difference is Australia’s premier conference regarding the health and wellbeing of LGBTI people. It draws together community organisations, health practitioners, researchers, academics, policy makers, advocates, community members and others who are interested in improving the health and wellbeing of LGBTI people. The 1st Health in Difference Conference was held in 1996, so we look back on a rich history.
A formal call for papers will be announced late 2009. To be put on our mailing list contact us.
Health in Difference is a unique forum for those interested in health issues relating to sexuality, sex and gender diversity to gather and share knowledge, practice, research and advocacy concerns and strategies as well as to network, listen, learn and laugh.
Health in Difference 2010 aims to “do diversity”, bringing together the rich diversity within “LGBTI communities”, and others who work with them, proactively including the diversity of LGBTI issues, and using our collective insights to make a contribution to the health and wellbeing of sexuality, sex and gender diverse people.
Health in Difference 2010 is being organised by a working group made up of people from a range of locations, organisations and backgrounds.
* The terms we use both help and limit us. Health in Difference uses “LGBTI” as an acronym to refer to a group of identities that includes lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans/transgender and intersex people. We also use the term as an invitation to think across identity labels and consider sexuality, sex and gender diversity in all their facets and communities. We call on queer people, queens, sistergirls, fa’afafine, femmes, transsexuals, takatāpui, bois, bears and toms, all those with an interest in sexual orientation, sex and gender identity and how these relate to health and wellbeing to be part of Health in Difference 2010.
Health in Difference 2010
- is a forum for discussion, debate, sharing, learning, networking and organising around issues relevant to LGBT health
- showcases the work, experiences and learnings of practitioners in the field of LGBT health
- builds connections, collaborations an alliances between practitioners, researchers, policy makers and community members
- provides an inclusive, participative, empowering and fun conference experience